Who knew? Now I do! I was ordering lunch today at one of my favorite places to eat in Statesville NC – Sub Express (the chicken salad on toasted wheat sub roll with lettuce and tomatoes is out of this world)- and there was this nice lady handing out Deluxe Ice Cream cups. You could have vanilla, strawberry or chocolate and of course… I had to go for the chocolate. The little cups and the wooden spoon reminded me of grade school!
I asked the lady what the occasion was and she informed me that June was Dairy month, therefore, we celebrate with Ice Cream. Cool! I was given a cute little card with fun Dairy facts on it to read on my walk back to my office. There was such interesting information on there, I decided to share with you:
* Iredell County is the largest dairy producing county in NC.
* There are approximately 11,800 dairy cows in Iredell County.
* The second leading dairy county only has 4300 dairy cows. WOW!
* It takes 12 pounds of whole milk to make a gallon of ice cream.
* A cow’s pregnancy term is 9 months, just like a human’s.
* Most dairy cows drink about 35 gallons of water per day, the equivalent of a bathtub full of water. Holy cow!
* The average cow produces about 6.2 gallons of milk per day.
* Cows only have a bottom set of teeth totaling 32 in all.
* A cow does not bite grass, but wrap her tongue around it and tears it off.
* It takes an average of 50 licks to polish off a single scoop ice cream cone. (Hmmm…I wonder how many little stick scoops it would take?)
So thanks to Carolina Farm Credit for supplying these fun facts to me and giving me something to blog about today! Carolina farm credit it a great resource for all your farm credit needs. They prove financing for farms and farm land, Crop Insurance, Financial Planning and so much more. Call them at 704-873-1761 or visit them at 1704 Wilkesboro Hwy in Statesville NC. Ask for the nice lady with the ice cream cups!
Here is another interesting thing I learned today while eating my ice cream – Not only was it delicious, but it was made right here in Iredell County! That’s right, the Mooresville Ice Cream Company is just south of me in Mooresville NC. Deluxe Ice Cream is made right in my backyard (so to speak) and I had no clue. I love finding out new things about where I live and I really enjoy sharing them with you. Hope you enjoyed my little “info sharing” today. Enjoy dairy month and go have a deluxe Ice Cream to celebrate!